Sunday, May 4, 2014

Expository Nonfiction Anchor Chart

This is a beautiful Sunday afternoon here in my part of the south.  Just before I go outside to enjoy the sunshine, I wanted to share a couple of things with you from my classroom.  In my reading classes, we have been studying expository nonfiction and text features in expository text. To help the students remember these features, I created this colorful anchor chart. 
 
 
To make this anchor chart, I found a copy of a nonfiction book that I had in my classroom and did the unthinkable:  I cut it apart! I debated several minutes before I actually took my scissors and began cutting, but after I saw the end result of the chart and after the students oohed and awed over it, I knew that this book was benefiting the students much more as an anchor chart than it had on my shelf.  No regrets.  I used this anchor chart as a class introduction to expository nonfiction and the students referred to it in several activities that we did in class.  I'm very pleased with the results.
 
I am linking up with Deb at Crafting Connections for her Monday linky, "Anchors Away." 
 
http://crafting-connections.blogspot.com/2014/05/anchors-away-monday-weekly-anchor-chart.html
 
Finally, be sure to visit my store Tuesday and Wednesday for TpT Teachers 2 day sale!  This would be a great time to purchase some of my borders, clipart, or my Owl About My School Year packet.  Simply click on my TpT store icon at the top of the page.  
 
 
 

Be blessed.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a great idea!! You've totally inspired me- I'm so going to do this next year! Thank you so much for linking up, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I might just to have to cut up a book myself!

    ReplyDelete