Sunday, April 7, 2013

My Brother Martin Shutter Book



My students read a beautifully written story by  Mrs. Christine King Farris, the older sister of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  My Brother Martin tells of their childhood together and of growing up during segregation.  Mrs. Farris shares the experiences that helped her brother want to grow up and change the world. 
 
I love this book, and my students did, too!   They then created shutter books.  Didn't they turn out beautifully?  The students drew and colored a picture from the book on the fronts of their shutter books.
 
 

 
 
 
Then, on the inside, the students wrote 3 cause and effect situations from the story, an opinion about or from the book, a summary of the story,  why they liked the book, and a theme of the story.  This was an excellent way to review these skills and a fun way to prepare for that dreaded testing coming up in May. 

 
I am linking up with Amanda and Stacia  at Collaboration Cuties for her Mentor Text Linky.  My Brother Martin is a perfect text to teach theme, summary, or cause and effect.  I love using mentor text to teach concepts!  It is one of my favorite ways to teach! 
 


Stop by there blog to see a wonderful list of mentor texts and ideas on how to use them!

Be blessed this beautiful Sunday!


Photobucket
This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalm 118:24 

7 comments:

  1. I love this book, Kelly!! Your shutter books are wonderful! They did an awesome job:) Sending Sunday blessings your way!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog through the linky! I can't believe how many books people are suggesting that I've never heard of. We usually use Martin's Big Words but I teach the same kids for two years so a new book is so appreciated.

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also just found you through the linky, and I'm glad I did! Those shutter books are absolutely wonderful! Pinning them for next year! Thank you!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you review all these skills! Keeping this in mind for later this year. :)

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book but I have not read it to my class yet. I LOVE the shutter book idea!!! That is sooooo great!! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and for linking up!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank ya'll so much! I'm glad you like the shutter books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great idea! I am using this story to teach cause and effect this week and was looking for an activity...this is PERFECT! :)

    Jenna
    www.fashionista-teacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete