Sunday, June 8, 2014

Loved That Lesson

Well, to begin with, I have loved this past week.  My girls and I have enjoyed week #1 of summer vacation.  Swimming, spending time with my girls, helping my dad put out sod (that one was hard work!),  and catching up on some much needed housework was just a few things on my to do list this past week! I'm looking forward to seeing what this week will bring!

I must admit that I have had one lesson that I meant to share since the first of spring.  I was trying to figure out a way to share it, when this afternoon, I ran across Meg at The Teacher Studio and her Loved That Lesson Linky.  I knew this was the perfect opportunity to share Springtime Similes.

http://www.theteacherstudio.com/2014/06/loved-that-lesson-linky-june-lessons.html

I actually taught this lesson early in May.  Normally, I do this lesson in the winter, but because of changes in our reading this year, I did not get around to reading the book Snowflake Bentley until May.  I like using this book to discuss similes. 
 
 Snowflake Bentley book
 
After sharing the book and discussing the similes, my student normally would create Snowy Similes, but because it is spring, we changed things up a bit and created Springtime Similes.  To be truthful, I think these turned out even better than Snowy Similes!  We simply took a large 12x 18 inch piece of paper, folded into a hamburger (in half), then folded it in half two more times.  Then open the paper back up to see 8 sections.  In the first section, students wrote "Springtime Similes" and decorated.  Then in each of the remaining spaces, students thought of and wrote a simile related to spring and drew pictures.  We have worked all year on similes, and similes is one of my favorite things to teach.  Students love to find them, and as you can see from these posters, they love to write them.  I must say so myself, some of these similes are really good!
 
 
 
 
I love this simile! I feel like a baby cub with its family so warm and loved.  How sweet is that!
 
 
 
 
This student had fishing on his mind and is hoping to catch a big one!
 
There are many other books that are great to use with this activity. 
 
 Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story cover
Crazy Like a Fox by Loreen Leedy is fun and is fantastically told using only similes. 
 
Marven of the Great North Woods by Kathryn Lasky
I LOVE this book: Marven of the Great North Woods by Kathryn Lasky.  This is a biography of the author's father.  It is a sweet story about a time in his childhood that his parents made the difficult decision to move Marven to a logging camp in hopes of protecting him from an influenza outbreak.  Not only is this a wonderfully told story that your students will love, it is also full of unique similes.
 
 
You could also create Autumn Similes by using Hello, Harvest Moon.  I love this beautifully written book!
 
Hopefully, you are now enjoying a restful and relaxing summer!
Have a blessed day!
 
 



4 comments:

  1. I love your post! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing all the great pics! I'll bet your students just loved it! Hope you stop by for July's link up where we will share "Lessons I can't WAIT to teach!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those similes are SUPER CUTE! Your blog is making me miss teaching fourth grade next year!!!! I never thought to do a little foldable like that!! :) Enjoy your summer!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    Lori Mixing it Up in Middle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the linky! What a fantastic idea. The simile lesson is wonderful and I have never used Snowflake Bentley for similes, but I'm going to remember to do that! Your kids did such great similes and illustrations- love the foldable! I just posted a similes activity yesterday, and now I've got another idea for my files. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your students did an amazing job! Their handwriting and art are fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.