Saturday, May 4, 2013

Five For Friday!

It has been such a busy week, and I am a day late for Five for Friday.  My five are in no particular order. 

fiveforfriday

1.  We have been busy getting ready for our testing next week!!!  Work, work work! We have never given it this late in the school year, and I am a little concerned. If my students work as hard on the test as they have this week, I think we will be in good shape!  I am very proud of how far they have come this year!

2. We also had a field trip Friday. Yes, the day before testing begins!  This is a county-wide field trip where students learn about the water cycle, water conservation, aquifers, etc.  It is a great field trip, and we had a very good time.  The students were excellent.  (Sorry, no pictures).

3.  The students enjoyed reviewing commas with macaroni.  This is an activity that I have used for several years in my classroom.  I used sentence strips that I passed out to each student.  Each child also had dried macaroni to use as commas.  Students read the sentences, placed the commas where they belong, and when I said, "Check,"  they checked the answers on the back of the sentence strips.  When I announced, "Pass,"  the students passed the strip to the next person, and we repeated the process.  The students loved it! 






4.  To review similes, metaphors, and personification, we used my Figurative Language Show Me the Card Activity.   



I called out the sentences from the teacher's list.  Students listened for the type of figurative language (simile, metaphor, or personification) and simply held up the correct card.  I could quickly see who understood the concept and who still needed more instruction.  Also included in this packet is a graphic organizer and a printable that can be used as an assessment. 



5.  My girls let me take their picture in front of our wisteria vine.  It is in full bloom and beautiful. 



Now I am off to enjoy a rainy, cold Saturday. 

Be blessed!

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I read a lot of blogs and commas with macaroni is one of the cutest things I've ever seen! :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I love the macaroni idea! I've pinned that one for next year! Thanks for the idea.
    ~Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the comma activity, and just put the Figurative Language activity in my shopping cart for the big sale.
    Teresa
    Confessions of a Teaching Junkie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am so glad that you like it. :)

      Delete
  4. Love the idea of practicing commas using macaroni! So clever!!

    Glad I found your blog. I'm a new follower!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a sixth grade writing and reading interventionist, and I love the comma idea. Even my reluctant writers will get a kick out of it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.