Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fairy Tales and Fun Friday!

Do you ever feel like you are barely keeping your head above water?  The water is not quite to my chin, but I have been sinking for the past few weeks.  With grades due in the computer, meetings to attend, stacks of papers to grade, lack of organization, and "stuff" to do, I have been slowly going under.  Hopefully, I'll grab onto a life preserve and get back in the boat soon.  In the meantime, I'm going to share with you some ideas that I used a couple of weeks ago in my classroom.

I love sharing fairy tales with my class.   We read the hilarious mixed up fairy tale, The Horned Toad Prince by Jackie Mims Hopkins and Michael Austin. 


The Horned Toad Prince

This book is a wonderful read aloud to teach story elements, mixed up fairy tales, and figurative language.  We discussed the elements of fairy tales, and I created a chart with those elements.


After reading The Horned Toad Prince, students then created  charts in their reading journals about the story.

We also read other mixed up fairy tales including...

Product DetailsProduct Details
So much fun!

Then we read Cinderella stories from around the world including...

Domitila: A Cinderella Tale from the Mexican TraditionYeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China

The Rough-Face GirlMufaro's Beautiful Daughters (Reading Rainbow Books)

   The Persian CinderellaThe Egyptian Cinderella
My favorite of the Cinderella books, is The Rough Face Girl.  It is such a beautiful story.  

Now, for Fun Friday!


Fun Pin, Flamingos and Butterflies I think you will love Tina's blog, Samaritan's Purse

It is this easy!
  • Write about a fun lesson this week.
  • Share a fun fall pin from Pinterest.
  • Share a favorite blog with fewer followers than your own.
  • Share your fun plans for your weekend.
  • Put links below the Fun Friday page




Remember, it doesn't have to be Friday to link up.  Be sure to comment on two people in front of you and the two people behind you (or even more if you like!).  Everyone likes getting comments!!  Thanks so much to those of you for linking up each week!  

I hope you have a fun Friday!






Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Every time I read your blog it makes me miss teaching 4th grade. 4th is such a fun grade! Thanks for the linky party and the ideas. Fun Friday is the best!

    PS - I need help getting followers, any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you had the students create the charts in their journals!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun linky! I just found your blog and am now following you. Love all of your resources for fairy tales. Thanks for sharing!Lattes and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling overwhelmed too. I stayed until 6:00 at school tonight which I hate to do and miss my own children:( The papers and lessons can mostly be done at home but I had to organize stacks of papers that have been piling up! I need a mental health day:) I love your Fairy Tales anchor chart and the charts the students created in their journals! I will be linking up soon.
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Overwhelmed seems to be the name of the game right now!

    I love all those Cinderella books too...it's my favorite fairy tale. Have you read Briar Rose by Jane Yolen? It's amazing and has Snow White at it's heart. :-)

    Thanks for the linky!

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the different versions of fairy tales too. I hadn't heard of Bubba the Cowboy Prince, that sounds like a great one for our rodeo unit! Thank you for sharing! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the book recommendations! I am always on the lookout for great new books for older children!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE teaching twisted fairy tales - it's a wonderful way for kids to think about reoccurring themes and story elements, as well as developing their comparing and contrasting skills :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stumbled upon your blog and am your newest follower! Hope you feel caught up soon...I hate feeling that way! :(

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness
    P.S. Come join my giveaway for a FREE monogrammed Grateful Bag ($126 value)!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.