Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Write It Wednesday

I am beginning a new series, Write It Wednesday, to share ideas and lessons that I use in my language arts writing classes.



I love mentor text, and the book that I read in my writing classes was Library Mouse by Daniel Kirk.  This is a wonderful book to inspire students to write.


After reading this inspiring story, we discussed that everyone can be an author, and like Sam, the library mouse,  we simply need to write about what we know.  I then instructed my students to write a book about Sam's life before he was an author.  I had them to think about these questions:  Where did Sam come from? Does he have a family? Did he every live somewhere other than the library? Did someone inspire Sam to love reading?  Then they wrote their stories about Sam's life before Library Mouse.  (Check out Daniel Kirk's website for the inspiration for this idea as well as many others.)

I made simple small books, and the children wrote their stories.  Then they pasted their books onto a page in their writing journals.



I tried to put one positive comment and one comment about an obvious writing skill, grammar error, or punctuation/capitalization error that they could improve upon.   I did not instruct or remind students about any grammar, capitalization, or punctuation rules before they began writing.  This was our first writing assignment, and I wanted to see exactly what my students know, and I learned a lot about their writing.  I can't wait to see how much they grow as writers.



Come find out what the fun is Friday with my new Fun Friday Series!


Photobucket

2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.