Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Final Countdown

School begins Monday! 
  • Room ready?                 check!
  • Lesson plans ready?      check!
  • Nervous?                       check?
I still get nervous after 22 years of teaching.  I just pray that I have everything ready and that this first week of school goes smoothly.  I know there will be "hiccups" during this first week, but teachers have to be flexible and ready for anything. 

I'm a little late, but I wanted to link up with Ms. Jessica at A Turn to Learn for her Back to School Jitters Linky Party.  Here is what is on my mind.

Back to School Jitters Linky Party

I also wanted to share the student gifts I put together for open house.  They were extremely inexpensive.  I purchased the cups at Dollar General for 6 for $1.  Tissue paper total cost was $2.  I purchased 100 straws for $1, and the suckers were around $2.  Total cost for 18 gifts was approximately $6, and I have many straws left over.  My husband help me make the mascot stickers to go on each cup.  The students really seemed to love them, and I thought they turned out cute!








Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. I am always nervous for the first day of school too! Doesn't matter how many years you have been teaching. I hope your first day is wonderful.
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always nervous too...I definitely need to remember to be flexible! I'm a new follower! Thanks for following me.

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I get nervous..or just excited! It reminds me of Christmas morning...one of my favorite days! :)
    Have a wonderful first day...really like your cup and straw idea!

    Debbie
    Teise's Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also still get nervous! Your welcome back gifts are cute! I hope you had a relaxing week-end and have a great first day!

    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your straw and cup gift, they are so cute! I am sure your first week will be amazing :)

    Teaching Chick

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cups came out great. I think the mascot really makes it.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cups are so cute! Did you make the mascot stickers, too? I'm nervous, too! I switched grade levels so I'm out of my comfort zone. Wishing you a very smooth beginning on Monday.

    Diane
    Teaching with Moxie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My husband helped me make the stickers. He has a large machine to design and cut out vinyl. Best wishes to you as you begin your new grade level!

      Kelly

      Delete
  8. Kelly I understand what you mean about being nervous, it's my 19th year and I always get this way too! can't imagine just starting out, it must be worse!
    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only 18 kids! Any teacher would kill for that. Lucky! Hope you enjoy the first week of school.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know. I am very blessed to have a small group. I have now grown to 20, but I still consider myself having a small class.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.