Friday, August 3, 2012

Fabulous Find Friday in Teaching Fourth!

Teachers are know hoarders, pack rats, or collectors (whichever name you prefer).  I have to admit that I have a difficult time throwing away items that I "might need later."  This summer, however, I have changed my ways and have cleaned out my classroom.  I even discovered bulletin boards that I made 15 or so years ago!  (They went in the trash.)

While on one of my many treks hauling trash to the garbage, I made a discovery.  I found five of these containers piled next to the garbage can that someone had thrown away. 



Now, I know I was in the middle of changing my ways, but I could just see how wonderful these could be for storing my collection of picture books!  I love the colorful storage bins from the dollar stores, but most of them are too small for large picture books.  



I simply took the new containers, painted them with leftover wall paint, made some labels to go on front, and now I have some great "free" containers for storing my picture books. 

 I especially like how the picture books can be stored facing the front.  I think these will look great on my shelves (and now that my books are organized, hopefully I can find them now when I need them).

I am linking up with Elizabeth and Fun in Room 4B for her Fabulous Find Friday linky party. 



Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call a fabulous find!!! Way to go! Thanks so much for linking up with a terrific idea.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was proud of my free find! I enjoyed the linking up with your blog!

      Delete
  2. Oh how I wish I could find some of those book holders next to my trash!! I'm in the midst of a book storage crisis:(
    Carrie
    The Common Core Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of painting the containers and using them for books!!! I have 2 similar ones that I used to store things in a cabinet because they are super ugly! I just put them up on top of my cabinet to "save" because I knew they have potential to be super useful!! Other than that, I am not the typical hoarding teacher... I am all about getting rid of everything I can. Especially furniture and stuff the piles up on the cabinets. I think because i am so unorganized that I have to be super vigilent at school!!

    http://fourthgradefeedingfrenzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know if painting them would work or not, but it did! I simply used a paint roller and rolled it on!!

      Delete
  4. I have some boxes like that too! I started covering them with paper but think I might paint the other ones. I love them for center folders. =)

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way your book holders turned out. I still think you did change your ways. You didn't keep the boxes for a later date, you used them now. :-)
    I'm your newest follower.

    Christine
    Tales From Rm 17!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, I did change. I guess I'll know by December if I can stay organized. :) Thanks so much for following me!

      Delete
  6. Your boxes look great. I love that teachers aren't above dumpster diving! Thankfully you didn't have to go INTO the dumpster to score your free boxes :P Cute blog, I'm now following!

    ❤ Karen
    flamingofab@gmail.com
    Flamingo Fabulous in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how they look and love how they work! Thanks for following!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.