Monday, July 30, 2012

Out with the old! In with the new!


I have had the opportunity to teach 6th, 5th, and 4th grades.  Over those years I have also been in 4 different classrooms.  My last move occured about 4 years ago.  Let me say that I am blessed to work with the most wonderful group of teachers! 
That November, I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  During my chemo treatments, the chemo wore me down to a point that I could not teach.  During that time, our school was undergoing some physical changes, and our 4th grade teachers needed to move to different classrooms.  My wonderful coworkers (and friends) not only moved their own classrooms, but they moved mine as well.  They did a wonderful job organizing so that when I returned, I was able to find everything. 
The only problem was that this room has not felt like my room since I've moved in.  So, I decided it was time for some changes.

The past few weeks, my girls have had volleyball camp and practice.  (I am so proud that they both made the volleyball team!)  While they have been in the gym practicing,  I decided that I would use that time to get my classroom ready.  Believe me,  it needed some work.

What a mess!


I also decided that this dark green cabinet needed painting.  I had purchased new bright green bins this summer to replace the old worn and broken blue ones.  I thought black paint for this cabinet would really spruce things up!



And so I began painting

and painting some more.
I also organized all of my books into bins.  I just love using these colorful bins.  They not only keep things organized, but they add a lot of color.

I even made some new curtains.  I love using curtains over my closet to help hide clutter.



I organized and labeled my filing cabinets.
 


I made my bulletin boards.




After much work, I believe my room is ready.

I'm linking up with Corinna at Surfin' Through Second  for her classroom theme inspiration linky. 

I'm also linking up with Amanda at One Extra Degree for her classroom organization linky. 



19 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks amazing! I love those colors, they make it so bright and fun!! I can't believe you are allowed to paint! Your students are going to love it:)) Have a fantastic new year and thanks for linking up!!

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words! Yes, our principal is great. Several years ago all of the teachers were allowed to pick colors for their classrooms. Mine was blue and black. I was missing that colorful classroom, so I painted.

      Delete
  2. I find you to be a very inspirational person! =) Your classroom looks great by the way, very bright and inviting, your students will love it! I'm your newest follower, stop by sometime! =)
    http://cantmakethisstuffup-hmichaud.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, and thank you for following me! I'm so excited to have followers.

      Delete
  3. Wow, your room looks amazing! You are an inspiration to others! Great job!

    Jessica
    Fabulous and Fun 4th Graders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. I cannot believe the transformation in your room!!! That is awesome. I am loving your owl bulletin boards and cute sayings too. Thanks for sharing:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I can't take credit for the sayings on the bulletin boards. I had a wonderful helper. My daughter came up with them!

      Delete
  5. Your room looks so amazing! You must have worked your tail off. It looks fabulous. I found you through the linky. I'm your 6th follower!

    Megan

    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Thank you for following! :)

      Delete
  6. I love everything you have done. I can't wait to see it in person. Especially the owls!! So CUTE!! I've been working like crazy making my room "mine", also. You will have to come check it out.
    Super proud of you making this blog...your high-tech now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I can't wait to see what you have done in your room. See you soon. :)

      Delete
  7. Your room looks great! I love your bright, fun colors! Thanks for stopping by my blog:) You are right, my room appears big....it totally is not!!! Not at all....lol. Pics are funny:)

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and thanks for coming by my blog!

      Delete
  8. Kelly, I am so proud of you. This is fabulous and I am so proud of you and for you. Thank you fo the sweet words about working together. We are blessed! I plan to be one of you fabulous followers. Your room is fabulous and colorful. You always inspire me to want to work harder. Once again you have done just that. I pray we have a blessed and wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so blessed to work with ya'll! Thank you for the sweet words. I have been praying that we will have a wonderful year this year! I am looking forward to it! Love you!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Yes, they are built ins. I do like them better now that they are painted. I just have to make sure to keep everything in order so that they look neat.

      Delete
  10. Love your owl bulletin boards!! Did you have a pattern to make them?? Or did you buy them somewhere?? Would love them for my class too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.